Pages

Empty Nest News & other bits of ridiculous nonsense

Saturday, April 4, 2009

10 Random facts about myself

1. I HATE shopping for clothes. I have what I call the "uniform" ( I wear it every weekend, because I literally have very little clothing) it consists of a pair of capri pants, I bought a Costco a year ago, because that is literally the only store I go to, other than Raleys for groceries. A t-shirt that Kristina got at the NRCHA 25th world championship snaffle bit futurity in 1994. A greenish/blue plaid flannel shirt with denim on the collar and cuffs that Kristina wore in high school-I am guessing in about 1994 too. I wear this rain or shine. I would prefer to wear the exact same outfit everyday until it wore out, then buy a new one. Seriously if you do not believe me...just ask any one of my girls.

2. I have an obsession with cows. I love to take pictures of them. I work in Chico so there is lots of pasture between my home and my office. I literally freak out if I leave for work and do not have my camera, because I might miss that perfect cow picture. I get so side tracked looking at them it is almost a hazard for me to be on the road. I'm constantly checking out areas on the side of the road where it is safe to pull over and take pictures. When I am lucky enough to have a passenger I can't wait to say "LOOK at that black (or brown, white, red ) cow isn't that a neat cow." or "LOOK at that cow running." "LOOK, LOOK, LOOK do you see that calf?" I secretly daydream about what it would be like to be a cow. I live in a cow pasture... you can only imagine how my life transforms when the cattle come down from the mountains for the summer.

3. I have OCD when it comes to trail mix. I get the big bags of trail mix at Costco (refer to fact #1 about where I will shop). The mix consists of M&M's, cashews, raisins, peanuts and almonds. I have a certain combination in which to eat them. If the cashew is whole I will have 2 raisins and 2 M&M's. If the cashew is in half I have 2 raisins and 1 M&M. If I get half a peanut I have 1 raisin and 1 M&M. If the peanut is whole I have 1 raisin and 2 M&M's. I cannot mix the peanuts and cashews. I cannot eat a raisin or M&M without either a cashew or a peanut. As for the almonds I do not like them in the trail mix so I toss them in compost. Now don't get me wrong I like almonds just fine, just not in trail mix. I thought of making my own trail mix, but that would take entirely too much time. Besides then I couldn't share it with anyone because they would mess up the mixture lest they follow the rules.

4. I'm terrified of heights. It's not that I am afraid I will fall. NO I am afraid that I will spontaneously jump off of whatever I am on top of. Like there is a small voice in my head that keeps telling me to just jump, don't be afraid just do it. Like I could fly or something, or have some magic parachute inside my back. I almost can't trust myself. So I just stay away, very far away from edges.

5. I have bought dozens of books that I have never read. I just can't help myself. Yes, I have judged a book by its' cover. Shallow huh?

6. I have every issue of Country Living magazine since 1985 in chronological order in my closet. I cherish every issue.

7. SNAKES... I HATE SNAKES. I will scream, run, jump off a cliff (see #4) if I ever come in any sort of eye contact with one. whatever it takes I am getting the hell away. When I was engaged to Caveman he innocently tossed a gopher snake at my feet. I almost called off the wedding! He now knows better. Maybe the snake was a sign?

8. I have a severe weakness for nesting bowls. I have actually had to smuggle them in the house. When asked "where did those bowls come from?" the reply is "oh I've always had them I just put them out". I have 3 sets that sit on the extra bar stools in the corner of the dining room. I am out of cupboards for them. My last set of bowls were in miniature form, it wasn't so obvious.

9. Elderly people are drawn to me, and me to them. Recently Tonya and I were at Costco (that shouldn't surprise you...refer back to #1) getting a Costco polish dog. It was really, really crowded. So after we got our food I took a quick look around and decided to choose a table to share. Well of course the table I chose had 2 older gentleman sitting there enjoying their lunch so I figure it would be safe to ask them if we could join them. It was all fine and dandy until I got mustard on the end of my nose, which Tonya noticed immediately and motioned for me to wipe it off. Of course the napkin I had had more mustard all over it so wiping my nose with it made it all the more worse than ever. The gentleman sitting next to Tonya across from me comments something like "It isn't any good unless you get it all over." I would have died from embarrassment had it not been for the good humor of these older gentleman. We of course continued the conversation the to likes of BBQ ribs... on + on. I am a firm believer that every has a story to tell, and by George I am going to ask and listen. Old people are the only ones who will share all kinds of stuff about life. Who in the world will I hang out with when I am 80?!?!?!?

10. I am the worlds best PROCRASTINATOR. Just to let you know this post has been in my "draft folder" for a couple of weeks now and I am just posting. It is not that I am embarrassed by the above facts, just confirming my sanity. Never mind the date on the title of the post. today is really April 22 and it is 5:30 in the morning. I have mastered the art completely. I have the genetics for it too. I might also add that I have passed some of the gene to my offspring. I am sure they appreciate it as much as I do. Sorry kids I had no choice.

Love you all

No comments: