I have been viewing several blogs lately. The funny thing is I have turned into somewhat of a "blog stocker". Complete strangers!!! YES, YES I have to confess..... I have viewed blogs of complete strangers. In doing so I have realized that all the blogs I have eyed into are those of families with children. Mostly small children (usually 3 or more). They have so much to blog about- kids, diapers, potty training, play dates, holidays, school.. there is always something happening.
Tell me, how can I keep up with that kind of stuff?!?!?!? I waited years for all this "time". Now I am not so sure what to do with it. Except nature plays this awful trick on you... see when you get older it takes twice (no sometimes 3x) more the time to do the same things you did in your 20's+30's. So there you have it, you really still don't have "time" because you need so much more of it than before.
This blog is about the next part .... 'empty nest". This is my journey through unfamiliar territory. Somedays I am ok with this and others not so much. It is like being fired from a 25 year position as CEO. I have just moved up a notch on that ladder called life. In case you don't know I am terrified of heights and don't really like the step up. I am learning to look down and enjoy the view.
There was no such things as blogs when I was raising a family. We took pictures on the family camera (yes it had 35mm film, NO digital), took the film to the local market, and waited.... somtimes up to a week or more for them to return. If you got the film to the store on time you could get one day service for a small extra fee. It was so exciting when the pictures arrived back... we took them carefully out of the envelope and promptly placed them (out of a the 12-36 pic taken there was only a dozen or so worthy) in some sort of photo album. There was no way to view the pictures as soon as you took them to see if it was a "keeper". Now I can tell you from personal experience that there were some really weird pictures taken. I cannot imagine what I could possibly have been thinking! There was no scrapbooking paraphernalia for the albums of yester-year, just a plain old photo books with sticky backgrounds (usually black or brown) with some sort of sticky lay over film to cover the pictures. Sure enough the plastic film of whatever, eventually ate some of those early photographs. wow--- Imagine that!
Once upon a time ago at the age of 19 I chose to be a mother. That is what I have been and done since the birth of my first daughter (1979) until the youngest daughter turned 18 (2004).
My nest fully emptied in early spring of 2005 (good thing this was a very gradual progression).
I am here amongst the scattered feathers. If you have ever examined an abandoned birds nest it forever has remains of feathers of all the little birdies hatched there. You just cannot get rid of them. Good thing too because on a especially cold and lonely day those feathers can keep you pretty warm.
There is nothing in this world I love more than my 3 daughters. It is an honor to be their mother. They have, and continue (in their adult way) to give my life purpose. They keep me on track as a new journey begins...NEVER afraid to remind me when I become a little wayward on this new journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment