The turkey was awesome. It is a time consuming 24 hour brine process. After the turkey is done soaking in the brine it sets on the counter until it reaches room temp. Then is massaged with butter all over and carefully wrapped in cheesecloth, which as been soaked in butter and wine. While it is cooking it is basted every 30 minutes with wine and butter. Seriously, I have done this 2 Thanksgivings in a row and it is well worth the effort. Everytime I do this I am reminded of a story I heard LONG ago about a cabinet maker. The cabinet maker was meticulous and loving about his cabinet work. The same attention and detail that was put in the outward appearance was also spent on the part of the cabinet that no one would ever see. When asked "Why do you take such painstaking efforts in the part of the cabinet that will never be seen?" The cabinet maker simply replied "Because I will know". That is how I feel about my turkey.
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Thxgiving
Thanksgiving is a truly fabulous family gathering. I love the preparation, cooking, NOISE, (lots of that) and all the love that goes into being together with the people who truly mean the most in your life. The only bummer was my brother, Bob, and family were not able to join us this year.
The turkey was awesome. It is a time consuming 24 hour brine process. After the turkey is done soaking in the brine it sets on the counter until it reaches room temp. Then is massaged with butter all over and carefully wrapped in cheesecloth, which as been soaked in butter and wine. While it is cooking it is basted every 30 minutes with wine and butter. Seriously, I have done this 2 Thanksgivings in a row and it is well worth the effort. Everytime I do this I am reminded of a story I heard LONG ago about a cabinet maker. The cabinet maker was meticulous and loving about his cabinet work. The same attention and detail that was put in the outward appearance was also spent on the part of the cabinet that no one would ever see. When asked "Why do you take such painstaking efforts in the part of the cabinet that will never be seen?" The cabinet maker simply replied "Because I will know". That is how I feel about my turkey.
The partially set table.
The turkey was awesome. It is a time consuming 24 hour brine process. After the turkey is done soaking in the brine it sets on the counter until it reaches room temp. Then is massaged with butter all over and carefully wrapped in cheesecloth, which as been soaked in butter and wine. While it is cooking it is basted every 30 minutes with wine and butter. Seriously, I have done this 2 Thanksgivings in a row and it is well worth the effort. Everytime I do this I am reminded of a story I heard LONG ago about a cabinet maker. The cabinet maker was meticulous and loving about his cabinet work. The same attention and detail that was put in the outward appearance was also spent on the part of the cabinet that no one would ever see. When asked "Why do you take such painstaking efforts in the part of the cabinet that will never be seen?" The cabinet maker simply replied "Because I will know". That is how I feel about my turkey.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment